[Gllug] How to start a carrer in Linux Admin ?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Aug 15 16:30:33 UTC 2005

wendy carr wrote:
> Also usually you require having 3-5 years of multiple
> os's such as Solaris9/10, RH ES/AS, SUSE and HP. These
> os are not even available in public domain. Its
> chicken and egg problem, you got to know those fancy
> stuff but you got have a job that gives you the
> experience.

My last company, when advertising the job they hired me for,  advertised
for someone who had Solaris skills, it turns out that they don't use
Solaris _at all_; beware of agencies with checklists.

Solaris, iirc, is free for personal use these days so there's nothing
stopping you downloading it and trying it out.

Be careful not to confuse the role of Linux Administrator with Systems
Administrator - they are utterly different roles.  The former being a
very small subset of the latter.

Get used to solving problems.  Pick a specific application and learn
everything you can about it.  I started with Squid, for example, then
sendmail, then apache, then BIND and so on and so forth. Help users via
the mailing lists, write the fact you do this on your CV.

Join your local LUG.  Turn up to the meetings and take a business card
with you.  Offer your help and your skills for free - "the first one is
always free".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk