[Gllug] boot from a usb hdd

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Mon Aug 1 15:14:48 UTC 2005

Has anyone had success in getting linux to boot from an external
usb hard disk?

Grub loads the kernel, which panics when trying to mount the root
filesystem. About a second after kernel panic, you can see sda coming
up, so I reckon the problem is that it is not waiting long enough for
root fs.

So I thought I had the answer when I came across this patch:
http://www.slicer.ca/linux/wait-root-blkdev-2.6.11.patch

But it doesn't work. Kernel waits, and sda comes up a second later, but
it never resumes.

I am hoping someone will have been down this road before. Maybe there is
an easier way...

Context: I am trying to use this usb drive as an installation medium
for a bunch of machines without cdroms. I have been booting from a usb
memory stick and pulling partimage images from a partimaged server, but
it is slow, and not portable. THe usb hdd would give me the space to
have the images on the boot disk.

Thanks, Julian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk