[Gllug] Getting initramfs to work

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Aug 11 21:14:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Peter Grandi gibbered uncontrollably:
> * The RedHat NFS is the kernel based one; in order to make this
>   work one has to mount a couple of virtual filesystems which
>   are nonobvious. The freshly installed Fedora 4 does that, but
>   if one customizes this and that those mounts can get missed.
>   These are the equivalent '/etc/fstab' lines:
>
>     nfsd	/proc/fs/nfsd		nfsd	    noauto,defaults   0 0
>     rpc_pipefs	/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs  noauto,defaults   0 0

What? I'm using knfsd on 2.6, and I've never mounted either of those.

Looking at the nfs-utils source, this was a bad thing, as I've
crippled parts of nfs-utils... oops.

In fact, Documentation/Changes talks about the former mount, but not the
latter one. The only use of rpc_pipefs that I can see is for GSS-RPC
authentication, which IIRC is an NFSv4-only thing, and not widely used
even there.

--
`I work in computers so, of course, I'm an expert on everything.'
                                                     --- Simon Rumble
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk