[Gllug] connection to wireless network

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:30:29 UTC 2005

> <snip>
>
> > However, noone has commented on an extension lead and its likely
> > effective length.
>
> Yes it is entirely possible to use an 'extension lead' to put your
> antenna in a position where it can receive a good signal while leaving
> your PC where it is. Unfortunately the longer the cable the higher the
> signal loss in Db. Your extension lead must be of high grade / low
> loss co-ax cable for this to work best. We're not talking co-ax used
> for television aerials or Ethernet co-ax either. You need some
> expensive telecoms type co-ax which loses very few signal Db per
> meter.

btw examples of type of cable that you need:

http://www.miro.co.za/stage/intranet/wireless.php?section=Cables

The LMR195 Cable will probably work fine, the 400 is rather more
expensive and overkill for your situation.

So 9 feet = 3 m *.6 dB = 1.8dB decrease in signal strength, remember
that the connectors you use will also decrease the signal strength
getting to the card.

So lug the computer to the kitchen and find out how many dB you would
receive before signal loss due to cable and then subtract 3dB and if
that is fine then it should work. You can of course boost the signal
sent to card with a higher gain antenna but that costs more money.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk