[Gllug] [OT] Giving advice on buying a laptop

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 14:22:24 UTC 2005

On 8/9/05, Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> > So any suggestions?  Morgans seem to have some rather reasonably priced
> > ones.  I'm almost tempted to say PC World, simply because of their
> > returns/replacement policy.
> >
> > PS: I doubt I can convince her to run Linux on it.  <sigh>  I will,
> > however, stress that I won't be doing any OS-level support if she's
> > running Windows, beyond recommending crapware-removal software and not
> > using IE.
>
> If she wants to have someone close by to shout at when things go wrong
> then find a local supplier or a tesco (they are selling acer laptops for
> £468 inc VAT which look to be OK).
>
> As she doesn't have a real idea of what she wants/needs let her get
> something general and blame someone else if it isn't right ;)

I'd reccomend the HP laptops you can buy at any electrical retailer -
decent support, decent features and surprisingly good value.

My wife got hers from staples at a very good price, and I got mine on
the net at a surprisingly good price as well.

They have both worked really nicely -- the only thing you really
really need to do is to uninstall all the cruft that comes with them -
spending a day removing the demoware, etc and installing firefox,
thunderbird, bitdefender and spyware s&d is well spent.

cheers,

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk