[Gllug] How does a web site know where I am geographically

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Dec 19 20:42:40 UTC 2005

I was doing a web search the other night (looking for details of Fiona
Fullerton who played Alice in "Alice in Wonderland") when I got a pop-up
advertising thingy offering me introductions to "babes".  I'd have just
dismissed it without thinking, except for the fact that it had obviously
been tailored to my location - "Asian babe in Wallingford", "Hot babe in
Kidlington", "Sexy babe in Aston Upthorpe", etc.  It lacked any kind of
credibility - the place names had clearly just been sucked out of some
kind of look-up table - but it got me wondering.  How do they know where
I am?

Any suggestions?

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk