[Gllug] Ibm T20

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 09:48:43 UTC 2005

	I purchased an old Thinkpad T20 at a Computer
Fair, knowing its age. I've not had a Laptop before and
need it only for use at home - the speed (700) is
quite enough for my needs, and overall the condition
is reasonable. I've downloaded a mass of information
from Ibm, but so far haven't found any diagram showing
what all the 'connectors' are. Can someone shed light
on things for me please.

	Looking at the back, from left to right:-

A very small slot, then what seems to be a PS/2 socket,
then a nine pin male socket (serial connection?), next
a twenty-five pin female socket (printer?), next another
but much smaller twenty-five pin female socket, after
those there's a socket which looks able to connect a
'phone line, then one to take an ethernet plug, power
input (I'm OK there), a single USB socket, and finally
another PS/2 looking socket.

	The machine works fine with the AC Adapter, but
I've no idea how to switch to battery use. I got a
brand new CD-RW drive installed (free), so I know how
to change that to a Floppy drive (if I can get one), or
a DVD-RW drive. There's provision for two pcmia cards
on the side, but I've no idea, other than wireless what
I can use those for.

	Windows XP is installed (but no CD), as is the
full Works 2003. I don't need Windows (she will!!), so
I'll leave it for the time being and try to create a
partition for Debian, though as far as I can see, there's
no fdisk available to let me see the present partitioning.

	Why something so old? Well, I didn't want to splash
out for something more up todate as I'm not sure how much
I shall use the thing. The plan is that use it in an armchair
(I'm getting a bit old to sit at one of my boxes for Hours in
the winter), or even in bed when unwell.

	Grateful if someone can help - I don't want to shove
things in the wrong socket and cock everything up.

Thanks,		John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk