[Gllug] the guardian on the attack (again)

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:06:33 UTC 2005

On 20/12/05, Richard <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
>
> >So they teach, these days. However, real world experience generally
> >shows that projects run that way tend to end up bloated, bug ridden
> >and usually delivered over budget and late.

Actually real world experience shows that MOST projects end up
bloated, bug ridden and over budget and late. This is usually
exasperated by
1) poor poeple management
2) poor business management
3) poor project management
4) over-ambitious ideas
5) the fact that people suck
6) the fact that software sucks
7) the fact that there are 7 days of 24 hours in a week

> Fair enough, but how are the others run? The exceptional ones (the ones
> under budget etc.) tend to run outside all the normal development
> systems (IMHO) and are hacked together by the BOFH responsible. Is there
> a third way? Is there method in the third way, or just "because I know
> how it works"?

I've seen a few BOFH hacks that became production systems in their
time, and it's almost always unmaintainable, undocumented and
unreliable. Leaving it to the beardy chap with a beer and curry
stained red dwarf t-shirt to write in a korn shell and postscript
isn't a sensible alternative to actually analysing and designing
something.

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk