[Gllug] redhat satellite api

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 17:33:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

Anyone else out there working for an org using redhat satellite?

Anyone else want to use the xmlrpc api but want more functionality that
redhat presently provides? has anyone done anything about this?

BTW, I got the following after posting a message on this subject to
rhn-satellite-users mailing list:

> This email, and another earlier this week are basically asking the same
> thing - how to add/change the RHN API without submitting a feature
> request to Red Hat and waiting for a new version of the Satellite
> product that meets your feature request. I suspect that having a member
> of Red Hat consulting services would be one route to go for these types
> of requests. Basically Satellite customers are not allowed to modify the
> Satellite "Code" as per the agreement they sign with Red Hat (I'm not in
> legal, nor do I fully understand the legal documents signed and agreed
> on between Red Hat and its customers). There is also a reverse
> engineering clause it seems and others which would make using even a CGI
> script with a DB query impossible unless you somehow had a lucky guess
> and did not go looking to understand how Satellite works.

Ouch! :-(

I'm not going to label redhat as the next MS because of this one thing
but it's not good.

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435