[Gllug] Recommended Books

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 14:39:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Christian Smith said:
> I would post the details of my company's security issues, but I'd probably
> be sacked...

Huge gaping? Shock.

> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Nix wrote:
>>- used AES instead of one-way hashes
>

> Yikes. Is that using a hard-coded key in the application? Or a
> per-installation instance key? Or other...

That's using the return value of getuid() as the key. :/

>>- used unseeded rand() as the random number source
>>- took no precautions against people acquiring the password after
>>  that ridiculous decryption step
>>- set the secret key to the nice secret entropy-filled return value
>>  of getuid()
>
> What, the key is derived from the user id? Nice.

No `derivation' involved. The key *is* the user ID, zero-extended.

A nice big keyspace of less than 65536 and probably less than 1000.
2^10 bits should be enough for anyone!

>>But don't worry, the organizations using this wonderful stuff don't deal
>>with more than billions of dollars per day. :/
>
> At least your stuff isn't going to be used by the MOD.

I bloody well hope not.

>                                                        Hopefully, our
> stuff will just fester and the project die, as it's being handled by EDS.

That's if anything an advantage: even in govt people handling critical
stuff know that EDS is shit and treat their output similarly.

(This is distinct from the people who *hire* people handling critical
stuff, who *sigh* often hire EDS. Or Accenture. Gah.)

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
 presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk