[Gllug] External USB connected disk

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Dec 29 13:48:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:30:13PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> I am looking at external USB connected disk enclosures (into which I can put 3.5" IDE disks).
> Mainly something that I can backup to and keep outside my house.
>
> Has anyone played with these, will I have problems plugging it in (2.6 kernel) ?

I picked up a USB-2/Firewire IcyBox[1] external enclosure a month or two back,
along with a 250 GB 3.5" drive. The USB-2  interface perfectly on both the 2.4
and 2.6 kernels (I used it as my data backup when migrating from RHEL-3, to Fedora
Core 4). I have not been brave enough to try the firewire instead of USB yet,
given what various kernel engineers have to say about quality of firewire
support in the kernel :-(

> (Usual story - comes with MS drivers & says will work with OSX)

In my experiance thus far, all external USB storage devices i've tried [2]
with a 2.6 kernel 'just work' with the regular usb-storage  driver.

> I am looking at a hd-d2-u2fw, unfortunately the box gives no indication of who makes it.

Regards,
Dan.

[1] http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=16&FilterCategories=380&Thumbnails=yes
[2] Creative Muvo, random USB flash pendrives, several USB harddrives