[Gllug] Rescue CD with HPT37x2 module

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Dec 8 09:03:14 UTC 2005

Does anyone know of a rescue CD which supports the HPT372 controller and
has the Highpoint RAID tools on it?  (Or can someone possibly build me a
CD image which has it on, which I can burn?  I only need that plus
networking support and NTFS read support).

Background:  I have a Windows PC which I use for the odd tasks that I
can't conveniently use Linux for.  When I built it, it was under the
misguided assumption that "hardware" RAID0 would speed up the machine,
so there's a striped RAID0 array on it across two hard disk drives.  It
has always been unstable (probably poor cooling and a dodgy ATI 8500)
and now won't boot to Windows or any of the repair consoles.  A
reinstall of Windows starts to work, but blue screens at the point when
it's trying to install the support for the ati card.  Replacing the AGP
video card with a PCI video card doesn't give me any display, so I can't
see what's happening.  So, I think what I need to do is to find a basic
boot disk which will fire up the machine and network, allow me to start
the raid array running, and let me copy the few files off that aren't
backed up.

jack