[Gllug] External USB connected disk

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 13:40:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 13:30 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> I am looking at external USB connected disk enclosures (into which I can put 3.5" IDE disks).
> Mainly something that I can backup to and keep outside my house.
>
> Has anyone played with these, will I have problems plugging it in (2.6 kernel) ?

I've used them, and they're usually OK. Basically if the chipset
presents the device as USB mass storage that complies with the spec, you
should be OK.

> (Usual story - comes with MS drivers & says will work with OSX)

The USB mass storage spec was only finalised after Windows 98 came out,
which means that 98 requires chipset specific drivers. The practical
upshot of this for Linux users is that if the device comes only with
Windows 98 drivers, and advertises driverless operation with Windows
2000/XP and MacOS X, then it should work seamlessly with a 2.6 kernel.
Most storage devices do comply with the specs, as it saves the
manufacturers from having to develop and support drivers.

> I am looking at a hd-d2-u2fw, unfortunately the box gives no indication of who makes it.

If it's one of these:-

http://zynet.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008805720474/ProductDetail/product_id-1001068641/action-GetProduct.htm

Then I'd say it should work.

HTH,