[Gllug] Ibm T20

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Tue Dec 20 23:53:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 20:32 +0000, john gennard wrote:
> Am doing quite well using all the help received from this list.
>
> However, having turned to repartitioning the hard disk employing
> the tool recommended, I get an error message which I cannot get
> beyond, viz,
>
> qtparted V0.4.4 finds correctly:-
> 	"/dev/hda1 ntfs 11.24Gb" (has Win XP on it).
>
> I want to resize this to around a max of 5.6Gb, and then
> create an Ext2/3 partition of 5.6Gb or higher to hold
> Debian Sarge (I really want to have 5.6 for / and
> 0.4 for swap).
>
> Use of the graphic interface seems simple (after booting
> with frame -buffer), but each attempt fails with the same
> error message:-
> 	"Filesystem check failed! Totally 1 cluster
> 	  accounting mismatches"
>
> Does anyone know why I have the error, and what I can do
> to avoid it.

ntfs support on Linux is not considered stable last time I checked.
Having said that there are supposedly some tools that handle ntfs ok but
without guarantee. In response to an earlier post by you:

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 10:48 +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
> Not really a problem - boot off a live cd and have a look.
> Incidentally for repartitioning a windows system to make room for
> linux, I recommend using  SystemRescueCd - a gentoo-based live cd with
> all the tools you need - see http://www.sysresccd.org/

Seems like it might have such tools that will be happy with ntfs.
Someone please recommend a specific tool for this?

Kind regards,

Justin
--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk