[Gllug] Alternatives to BT offering of combined mobile

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Tue Dec 6 20:58:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:07:44PM -0000, John Winters wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:10:04AM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> >>  ISTR seeing an ADSL modem a while back where the
> >> splitter was built into the box and a conventional phone plugged into
> >> the box could then make calls over either POTS or VOIP, but I can't find
> >> it when I search.  Does it exist?
> >>

> > Do you mean Draytek Vigor?
> >
> >    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2500v.html
>
> Close, but not I think quite there.
>
> The unit which I'm recalling combined the ADSL splitter with everything
> else in the same box and thus enabled you to make *either* POTS *or* VOIP
> calls from the same phone.  More importantly from my point of view,
> incoming calls through either POTS or VOIP rang the same phone.
>
> All the ADSL routers with VOIP which I've managed to find are for *just*
> VOIP.  If you want a POTS phone you have to plug that in separately.
>
> All I can remember now is that it was made by a major manufacturer (Cisco
> or the like) and you shoved a prefix on the number you were dialling to
> indicate whether you wanted the call to go via POTS or VOIP.
>
> Ring any bells with anyone?

Well to quote from the above link :-

POTS & VoIP Access from one phone

In addition to the ADSL Line, the Vigor2500V connects to your regular
analogue phone line so with just a single phone on your desk, you can
choose to make calls using VoIP via the Internet or, by dialling *0
before the call, switch over to your POTS line and dial out via the PSTN
(the conventional phone network - for example BT). Incoming calls can be
received from either source too - either POTS or VoIP - the phone will
ring on either. The Vigor2500V features automatic failover, so in the
event of power loss, the Vigor automatically switches your phone over to
the POTS line so that you can still make/receive calls. Additionally, if
you have a VoIP phone number (SIP Address) in the speed dial memory, you
can also specify a backup phone number for each entry, so in the event
of Internet loss, the router will automatically dial an alternative
number via your regular telephone line. In normal use, you can tell
which line you are using by the LED colour - green for VoIP and amber
for POTS.

which seems to be what you're asking for.

Frank
--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk