[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Dec 8 23:37:56 UTC 2005

* Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> [051208 22:39]:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 22:21 +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> > In my experience, debian's stable is rock-solid and great for servers,
> > testing is ok but not up-to-date, and unstable just doesn't work well
> > enough.
>
> I agree with you about testing and stable, but I've been running my
> desktop on Unstable for several years now, and in my experience, it's
> been better than any version of RedHat I ever ran (which is most of them
> from 3.03 to 7, after I moved off Slackware). With RedHat, you got a
> snapshot of the state of many things, and you only got a major upgrade
> when the next version came out, and the advice was always to do a clean
> install, as the upgrade process wasn't reliable.

This is familiar, as it's what's happening with Fedora Core 3.

> > I don't want my desktop to break all the time, I just want to be able to
> > try new apps when I can.
>
> That was pretty much why I switched to Debian. On the (rare) occasions
> when something breaks after an upgrade, backing out the affected package
> by picking up the old one from /var/cache/apt/archives, then sticking it
> on hold for a while is all I've ever had to do.

Sounds good.

But Stephen has just reminded me of the other reason I switched from
Ubuntu to FC3 on my core desktop machine - it's an AMD64 machine and I
wanted to be able to mix i386 and x86-64 packages on the same system.
As I recall, Ubuntu (and Debian) can't do this.  (Although I can't
remember whether it's because deb is very powerful so it's hard to
manage the 436 different architectures that debian supports, or that
it's so rubbish that it can't maintain i386 and x86-64 on the same
system, or what).

Anyway, to switch back to Debian I'd have to run an i386 system, and
while I'm sure there's no speed advantage to running 64-bit, I wanted to
be up to date.

I run Debian on my server, still.

jack