[Gllug] Corrupted Thunderbird mbox

john levin john at technolalia.org
Sun Dec 11 15:45:18 UTC 2005

Kristian Rink wrote:
> john levin schrieb:
>
>>these are basically text files, but so far I haven't been able to get
>>anything to read it. Generally, apps seem to freeze on it, although nano
>>produced an empty page. The mozillazine forums and knowledgebase haven't
>
> [...]
>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> I'd give mutt a try and see what happens whenever trying to open the
> defective mbox using "mutt -f <mboxname>". Since the TB mailboxes indeed
> are pure, "traditional" mboxes, this should work well. If you quit mutt,
> chances are that your mbox will be rewritten and so (hopefully) fixed.
>
> HTH,
> Kris

Thanks for the replies. Mutt said 'Inbox is not an mbox' and didn't
import it. Nevertheless, first time using Mutt, and rather impressive it
is too, so I've gained something today.

Also suggested (offlist) was cat; cat opened the file, to reveal
thousands of: ^@^@
so I guess everything has been overwritten somehow. Ah well.

Thanks

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk