[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 16:25:41 UTC 2005

Do our beloved leaders ever think anything through properly ?

The tax credits fiasco is a case in point.

As far as the internet is concerned, I cannot see how ISPs can retain details
of email traffic without going to huge expense.

SMTP traffic cannot, surely be 'proxied' ?

My understanding is that if, we, for example use SMTP to send an email to
a customer via our ADSL or leased-line,  the IP packets travel 'directly'
to the customer's mail server via a number of high-speed switches which do
not retain/store any of the contents of those packets.   If ISPs are required
to retain details of our SMTP traffic they will presumably have to implement
some heavy-duty hardware solution to monitor all packets and extract the
required information.  Since terrorists or whatever are perfectly capable
of transmitting data around the world via any 'port' they like  (65000 odd to
choose from),  it would seem that ISPs would have to collect and store info
on ALL activity through their switches.  This would clearly be ludicrous !

And how on earth is retaining data on unanswered mobile-phone calls going to
catch terrorists who use them to detonate bombs?  All they need to do is
use a public call box or a stolen mobile to make the call !  And I guess most
pay-as-yu-go mobiles are effectively untraceable also?

Be interesting to see how this develops.
The whole thing seems like yet another knee-jerk reaction.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk