[Gllug] Building a patch

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 6 10:45:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005, Adrian McMenamin prattled cheerily:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:03 +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:25:40AM -0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>> > I avoided using the alsa CVS for this because they had half implemented a
>> > patch which didn't fully work and I wanted to avoid mixing up two
>> > different ways of resolving this problem :(
>>
>> Can you check out a revision of the code which doesn't have that
>> half-patch?
>>
>> With CVS you should be able to go 'back in time' and get an old copy of
>> the tree.
>
> Actually the CVS code just wouldn't work for me. I have submitted a hand
> build patch - lots of patches joined together with cat - I hope the
> maintainers accept it (and sooner or later every mainstream distro on
> the planet will be built using my patch - whoo hoo)

Um, why doesn't `diff -urN' work for you?

It's just that, um, that or `cvs/svn diff' work for virtually everyone
else: it's strange that *both* raw diff *and* your version-control
system couldn't be made to behave.

(Personally diff has never misbehaved for me at all: the -x and -X
arguments make it easy to avoid junk in the tree, but really there
should be no junk there in any case: you should write the change in
a pristine tree, and then test it in an emphemeral copy of that tree,
so only that copy gets the build-time junk.)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk