[Gllug] Persuading X.org to give me the exact settings I asked for

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 11:36:54 UTC 2005

John Winters writes:

>How can I persuade X that I really do want 1280x768 at the specified
>frequency?

Creat a mode line for it. In theory, the X server should do this for you
automatically, but the warning about the mode clock of 100000MHz is almost
certainly causing this process to fail (or at least, give incorrect values).
Try adding a suitable mode line manually:

	http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/

Actually, I'd recommend that to others, too -- it's a great way of getting
more from your monitor. I tend to pick a refresh rate that I'm happy with,
and then concoct a mode line to maximise my screen real eastate while still
staying above that refresh rate. It can typically give you quite a decent
improvement over the standard VESA resolutions.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk