[Gllug] Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Dec 6 17:31:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Tethys wrote:

>John Hearns writes:
>
>>Being pragmatic, you would probably be cheaper ditching the scanner and
>>buying a new USB one. Depends though if you have a nice scanner which
>>you like working with.
>
>Cheaper, yes. However, it doesn't seem like a good move to me. Scanning
>is one of those areas where the benefits of SCSI *really* pay off. The
>price difference may have forced me to switch to IDE disks last year,
>but I'll be keeping my SCSI scanner as long as I can.

Just curious, but what are the benefits of SCSI for scanning? The only
benefit I can think of is, erm, er, it can be done on old boxes for which
USB is not an option (like an old SPARC or somesuch.) What sort of
bandwidth does scanning chew up? USB2 should have the legs of any SE SCSI.

These days, USB has everything you could possibly need for scanning.
I'm, of course, assuming that drivers isn't a problem.

>Tet

Christian (A SCSI bigot as well)

--
    /"\