[Gllug] Re: Rescue CD with HPT37x2 module

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Tue Dec 13 15:19:02 UTC 2005

* Russell Howe <rhowe at siksai.co.uk> [051213 15:08]:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 10:27:06PM +0000, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > >That's only the case if
> > >
> > >b) The RAID controller doesn't use some bizarre on-disk format for the
> > >data.
> >
> > b) is true then a rescue CD or any other running Linux system isn't much
> > use :-(
>
> dmraid might understand said bizarre format
>
> Indeed, HPT37x is listed as supported:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme

I forgot to update the list on this problem.  I solved it using dmraid,
as you suggest, by downloading a Gentoo live CD with up-to-date dmraid
support.  This recognised the RAID volume and I was able to mount and
read my NTFS partition and copy the few unbacked-up files with no
trouble.  Thank heaven for Linux!

jack