Fwd: Re: [Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 17:26:00 UTC 2005

Quoting John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com>:

> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 18:06 +0100, Dani Pardo wrote:
> >    I think this is just a cosmetic move from the Parlament to say "Hey,
> > we look after your security", "we fight agains terrorism". We all know
> > that kind of rule is useless and impossible to achieve (have you thought
> > about open Access Points? :)
> >    At most, the police may go to an ISP and ask them to show the
> > mail.log. They will never do it, and if they do, and you don't have them
> > (because of some technical buzzword_here),
> Eh? Why would they have to ask?
> UK ISP traffic is already sniffed by the Government,
> unless I am barking mad.

I know that it is. A couple of years ago I sent some email to a friend in
Fathers for Justice, giving a URL to some pictures of a recent demo. That URL
was not linked to from anywhere -- ie you had to know where it was to find it.

Within 1/2 hour someone visited and collected the pictures, my friend did not
visit 'till some 6 hours later (I checked with him later). The IP address that
the visitor came from was strange - (something like) the CNAME being a CNAME to
the address of some cleaning company in London. I think that I still have a copy
of that bit of the logs.

Not that there was anything exciting to talk about.

I wonder how these people cope with gpg encrypted email ?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk