[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Feb 7 11:39:08 UTC 2005

* Russell Howe <rhowe at wiss.co.uk> [050207 10:41]:
> Jack Bertram wrote:
> >Am I expecting too high a standard?  Is it Gnome's fault?  (To give
> >context, when I ran fluxbox on the Celeron it was much more responsive
> >than Gnome is now on the Athlon64).
>
> Gnome in Debian seems very very slow to me (not tried Ubuntu...)
> compared to the few minutes I spent playing with Fedora where it seemed
> pretty much lightning-fast. Maybe they do some fancy prelinking or
> something? I just remember gnome-terminal opening within a second in
> Fedora whereas it took multiple seconds in Debian on the same box.
>
> You could always try just running fluxbox without all the gnome stuff on
> your new Athlon64 as a comparison...

I could, yes, although I'd rather not muck around too much with the base
Ubuntu setup as it makes upgrading harder.

But if Gnome doesn't run fast on this machine, what *does* it take?!

> Of course, there's many more things than just the CPU when it comes to
> performance. Is there enough RAM for example? Running a full Gnome setup
> with the panel, metacity, gnome-session-manager etc is going to use a
> *lot* more RAM than running a fairly simple windowmanager like fluxbox.
> I'd suggest a minimum of 384M RAM for Gnome, preferably more.

1GB of DDR400 ram in twin 512MB DIMMs, should be dual channeled up.

> Also, you might want to look at epiphany instead of fluxbox - it has a
> GTK2/gnome interface rather than firefox's XUL one, so the memory
> footprint should be lighter due to the interactions between
> copy-on-write and dynamic libraries. It might not make a huge amount of
> difference with the behemoth that is Gecko, but you can always try it &
> see...

When you say fluxbox, I presume you mean firefox.  I'll have a look.
Thanks.

jack