[Gllug] help! :) ibm lappy install problem

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 21:18:14 UTC 2005

James wrote:
> Hi all , just found your fantastic community here at gllug !

> I have an old ibm 240 thinkpad which i'm trying to get linux on.
>
> I have mannaged to get debian base on it  by using floppys as i dont
> have a usb or other cdr.
>
> The problem is i cant get my pcmcia slot working

I have a 365 which was a complete pig. The *only* thing I could get on
was Slackware (7 I think). Debian would probably have worked using
floppies, I didn't try, but the installer couldn't find the PCMCIA NIC
or indeed the PCMCIA bus at all IIRC. Slackware was fine, installed over
the network no problems. It was slightly tricky to get DHCP working on a
PCMCIA NIC, I had to fiddle with the scripts a bit. This is probably
fixed in later versions. I gave it a static IP for the installation.
I've also heard that X has problems with the video adapter on these, but
for my purpose I don't need X so it's not even installed.

So you might like to try Slackware.

Newer Thinkpads are much, much better. Since IBM started getting
interested in Linux their hardware has worked with it. You say yours is
only 5 years old (mine is more like 12, at least they build them well:).
I'm not familiar with the model 240. Perhaps it's only just too old.

As well as sundry Linux distros I also tried both Open and NetBSD. These
found the NIC OK and installed, but the damned thing refused to boot
them. There is a known restriction that this thing will only boot off a
hard drive if it has exactly one primary partition, but it must have
some other restriction too as this was the case - both these OSs put
their own "partitions" within a single disk partition so there was just
the one. I could boot both by booting a floppy and telling the BSD boot
loader to boot off the hard drive. Not very convenient.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk