[Gllug] skype

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 11:09:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:27:57AM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

<snip>

> What I'd LOVE to do is ditch fscking BT's landline rental, because
> that's the biggest monthly expense for something I barely use.  Not
> gonna happen anytime soon though, unless Ofcom suddenly grows teeth.

Thanks for pointing out this 18866 company. I've signed up.
My girlfriend's family live outside London and one of her best friends
is Belgium. This will take away much of the pain.

The 18866 site does mention you can use other providers like NTL,
Telewest etc. Do you have the option of going with them?

Concerning BT:

Had to laugh when listening to "you & yours" on radio 4 yesterday. They
had a BT guy on talking about the lack of competition. The BT guy was
surprisingly tame, but then he fought back by insisting that competition
was strong and that there were "over 150 different" companies in the
market. When then asked how could compete fully due to unbudling of the
local loop, his response was reduced to "several". Sad thing is I'm
laughing when I should be marching on the BT tower. :(

It's a realplayer file. The transcript isn't up yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ram/youandyours_20050201_4.ram

I've heard talk this BT situation really is going to get better?

Ben

--
Registered Linux user number 339435
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk