[Gllug] Fax server software

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Tue Feb 1 01:03:01 UTC 2005

You could try www.pumafax.co.uk, we wrote this system that
does exactly what you want and it's email based.
However it's an outsourced solution so you don't
need any hardware on your end.

Tushar

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:11:57AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent a frustrating day trying to get a fax server working for a customer.
> Someone had selected GFI Faxmaker ( http://www.gfi.com/faxmaker/ ) on Win2K
> because it integrated nicely with MS Exchange. Many hours on the help desk
> (they really were helpful) and many BSODs and it still isn't working.
>
> I have convinced them to look at the options again. There are Linux boxes
> that this could run on.
>
> What would you suggest ? The requirements are:
>
> * Users should send the fax by email, eg: 02012345678 at fax.machine, Exchange
>   can be set up to route such mail to the fax server.
>
> * The mail will be sent as a fax, if there are attachments (.doc/.xls/.html/.pdf)
>   they will be rendered and sent as part of the fax.
>
> * Success/failure reports to be sent back to the fax sending user.
>
> * Incoming faxes delivered by email as an attached png/gif/pdf/.... Scanning (OCR)
>   of a fax to ascii/... would be a bonus.
>
> * Automatic routing of incoming faxes where possible, if a fax destination
>   cannot be determined it should be sent to a mailbox for manual/human routing.
>   GFI fax claims some interesting auto routing abilities:
> 	http://kbase.gfi.com/showarticle.asp?id=KBID001349
>
> * POTS telephone lines, eventually: 2 incoming, 2 outgoing.
>
> * Doesn't really matter if the fax server runs on Linux or Windows, although
>   I would, naturally, prefer Linux. It is not a problem if we need to pay for
>   the software.
>
> Any goodies extra to the above would be great.
>
> Recommendation on decent fax card/... to work with the fax s/ware as well please.
>
> I would like recommendations from people who have actually done this in a medium sized
> organisation.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> Alain Williams
>
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
>
> Sign the "Thank you, Poland!"  http://thankpoland.info/
> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8896 2600     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk