[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Feb 11 09:40:43 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:

> Hmm Stable (Woody) is still running 7.2.1 While I would not use a beta
> or release candidate on a main server I would also not use somthing
> that is 15 versions old with many bugs and security issues that have
> since been found.

I'm starting to think you're just trolling now.  If you knew how Debian
worked, as you claim to,  then you'd know that Stable does not get
updated bar bug and security fixes.  Let's take an application called
Foo which gets in to Debian stable at version 1.1

Development then continues on Foo and versions 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 are
released  with new features every time.  Suppose a flaw is discovered
that affects _all_ versions of Foo.  What happens is that just the flaw
is patched in Debian stable. Let's say that again, _just the flaw_.  You
don't get a new version which includes all the up to date features of
1.2 through 1.5 _you just get a fixed version of Foo 1.1_.  That is why
debian stable appears to be out of date.

Put another way

Software that's doesn't change bar bug and security fixes in "doesn't
change bar bug and security fixes"  *shocker*

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk