[Gllug] Serverside Word editing

Luke Hopkins streaklug at streaknet.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:21:31 UTC 2005

No, really we do. I don't particularly like it either, but its integral
to a browser based application.
The web server will be on the same 100Mbit LAN as the clients, so
connectivity provisions are negligible.
Exclusive locks aren't really essential, as the liklihood of two clients
performing an operation on the same document are incredibly remote,
besides this can be handled server side (user clicks through into the
page serving the document, this process flags the doc as locked,
clicking the exit link unlocks the document).

I have reasonable control over the clients. Formatting changes are not a
major issue (ie. Some loss of existing formatting would cause no
problems). Changing the format from Word .docs to something else is not
an option simply because of the nature of the general public.

Cheers
Luke

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk