[Gllug] ADSL problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 10:51:03 UTC 2005

On Sat 26 Feb, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> It's almost certainly a wiring error in your telephone socket wiring somewhere
> in the house, possibly a reversal of the line pair.

   It is unlikely to be a DC problem, most phones do not care which way
round they are connected, but I have heard that some ADSL splitters can
cause this problem, the cure being to cut one of the internal wires in the
splitter, but I have no idea which one.
   There are only two wires (one pair) incoming to the master box, but the
master box has components which separate the low frequency ring tone and
feed that on to all internal sockets via a third wire. This third wire
should link on to the correct pin of the "phone" output of the ADSL
splitter, but with no connection to the "ADSL" output. The ADSL output
should only connect to the main incoming pair.
   There may be a fourth wire connected to an equipment earth which is used
as a signal wire for "Recall" or similar. If there are wires connected to
the outer pins to make a total of 6 wires their use is not specified as long
as the voltages present are within system specifications.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk