[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:31:47 UTC 2005

Bruce says:

<snip>
{implied Redhat's}

> core configuration files are explicitly designed to
> be maintained by interactive tools - interactive X tools, these days!

I (and many other people) administer large numbers of production
redhat servers without any difficulty, and without ever going near an
interactive (X or curses) tool.

Redhat should be congratulated for being able to create a suite of
tools that the migrating windows admin can use while still allowing an
admin who prefers or chooses to use the command line to do so without
pain.

> The old curses tools are still there but try using them and you get
> warnings that they are not supported and don't have all the features of
> the GUI tools.  That. Is. A. Joke.

No - its consistent with attempting to improve interactive tools.  If
you want an interactive tool, chances are you're the kind of person
who would appreciate the chance to use a well designed graphical too.
For backwards compatability, keep the curses tool, but point the user
to a better alternative.

Again - if the admin doesn't want the interactive tool - ignore it.
You don't even have to install it.

> Bruce

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk