[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 20, Issue 33

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 23:46:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 13:07 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
> > And yes, I do get your point. If someone has wrapped up a SuSE based
> > distro and is distributing it internally, they MAY not have to abide by
> > the GPL.  Any experts know?
>
> If you provide someone with the binaries you are required to provide
> them with the sources on request.  That's it really, there's no
> exceptions for people who might spend some of their day employed by the
> same company afaik.

IANAL, but I believe your interpretation is wrong here. I do not think
packaging up software and using it internally is considered distribution
for the purposes of the GPL. If the software was distributed to anyone
outside the company then there would be no question, but for purely
internal use I believe they are not in breach of the licence. The
company would be considered as a single entity for legal purposes.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk