[Gllug] Linux/Uix Certs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 17 14:24:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:25:55AM +0000, thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
> Looking for a few opinions on Linux/UNIX certification.
> Firstly. If I apply for a system admin job in your company, would a
> cert influence you in any way? Are they a waste of time? Is experience
> all that counts?

Red Hat certs might count with exclusively Red Hat shops, though I'm not
really sure of that.  On the whole, the Linux world has a negative view
of such certifications, confusing them with MCSEs and the like.

You can still gain a lot from doing the certification examiniations,
though.  I thin the LPI certs are actually quite well thought out and do
test a broad range of knowlege.  It's hard to pass and very hard to get
a high mark without both broad knowledge and a good understanding of the
underlying concepts.  So do it for yourself but don't bank on it helping
you directly in job hunting.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.