[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Feb 10 16:36:00 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 10 Feb 2005, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>Well, yes; because Debian really desperately needs a better way to
>>find what you actually want in that list of 8,000 packages, and so
>>manifestly all those rarely-used packages contribute to the
>>awkwardness of that list.
>apt-cache search --names-only <foo>
>Failing that, try a little grep.

Normally, yes, I end up grepping /var/lib/dpkg/available.

I could have been more clear. I don't mean finding a package I know
exists; that's fine. I mean some way to chop down that list by saying
"I don't do Fortran or languages other than English or bioinformatics,
don't show me any games" and stuff like that until there are 250
things in it and I can read each one's potted description and say
"Hey! That sounds pretty handy!"

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Thursday, February.