[Gllug] GLLUG March Meeting -- Update

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Thu Feb 24 17:47:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 03:51:56 +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
> Pete Ryland <pdr at createservices.com> writes:
> >
> > Anyway, I was wondering if there would be any interest in the future for a
> > python workshop/tutorial/lesson for beginners to run in the labs either
> > instead of a talk or in parallel as an alternative to the talks.  If there's
> > enough interest, I'm willing to put in a bit of effort to organise this and
> > come up with some teaching materials.  If it turns out to be a successful
> > idea, then other training sessions could possibly be done, like sessions on
> > vi/vim, C, bash/sh, etc.
>
> How about a "for not-beginners"?
>
> In other words, assume previous knowledge of programming, and present
> Python at that level. In the manner of the old P.J.Brown classic "Pascal
> from Basic".

That would be easier from my perspective too actually, cause all that would
be needed is a primer on the syntax.  Perhaps this is indeed a better idea,
although I don't wish to condense the material to the point where it's
inaccessible to complete beginners.  The thing is, non-beginners may be
better off learning at their own pace anyway.

BTW, I'll likely be using the (very good) python tutorial as a "text book":

http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk