[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Feb 9 08:30:45 UTC 2005

* Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> [050207 16:31]:
> I think I'm going to install a copy of FC3 tonight and try for myself
> whether it's true...

I took the plunge.  I had been using a home-grown LFSish system for 4
years, but I have now tried Ubunty (Warty and Hoary) and FC3.

Reactions:

* Ubuntu is prettier (fonts, default Gnome installation, etc.)
* FC3 is noticeably faster as a desktop machine
* Ubuntu documentation is superb
* FC3 documentation is appalling
* Apt on Ubuntu is fantastic
* Yum on FC3 took me several hours of mucking around to sort out - it
couldn't simultaneously upgrade glibc and glibc-common as they depended
on each other, so I had to rpm -Uvh --force --nodep.  Repository lists
are screwy.  Up2date keeps reporting that I need to update but yum says
I'm up to date.  I tried installing apt but it struggled with having two
different architectures installed (x86-64 and i386).  Yum appears to be
working now, eventually.

I'm still not used to the RedHat way of configuring the computer (have
grown used to the absolute simplicity and consistency of Debian-ish
systems) but for me the speed advantage of FC3 kills Ubuntu dead.

Now I just need to work out why it feels so much faster!