[Gllug] Vim and gpm

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Fri Feb 11 10:44:33 UTC 2005

* Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> [050211 10:35]:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:25:45AM +0000, Jack wrote:
> > Why would vim hang in the console when starting if gpm is running?  I
> > have to kill the process, stop gpm, and load vim again.
> >
> > Under screen session under PuTTY if it matters, on a FC3 system.
>
> One way to tell if it does matter would be to see if the same thing
> happens when
>
> 	* in the putty session but not using screen
> 	* at the console
> 	* using the openssh client, with and without screen
>
> Running vim under systrace would also be useful.

You're quite right to ask how to reproduce it!  Unfortunately I find it
hard to reproduce consistently - it has been happening intermittently
for the last 3-4 days.  When I restart gpm I can restart vim no problem.

I wondered if there were some well known issue with blocking on
/dev/gpmctl, or something.

I shall try to reproduce and report back to the list for more help!