[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Feb 10 16:04:15 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:
> includes everything you need to administer the system, and I struggle
> to see how the availability of half a billion extra packages under
> Debian is a benefit for anyone but completists.

The base install of debian contains very little.  The availability of a
huge number of additional packages is very useful, because although on
any one machine you may install only a few, everyone wants different things.

For example, I'm using a web framework called Nevow at the moment.  It's
in Debian.  I doubt very much that it is in any form of Redhat, for
which I'd have to select a version, build my own package of some sort,
and install it on my boxes, then track updates to it and roll them out
myself as I needed them.  This is a pain in the arse.

Now you will probably never use that package, but it hardly harms you
that it is available, does it?

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk