[Gllug] Iptables Continued

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 18:36:26 UTC 2005

Dear GLLUGers,

I'm continuing to fight iptables and have now come across
this problem.  I'm allowing FTP out of my box, and this
works as follows, for ftp-control (port 21).

-A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport ftp -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

That's fine.  I was expecting the following rule to work for
the latest ftp-data (not port 20).

-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

The data transfer hangs because my version of FTP uses
random ports at both end of the data connection, and I don't
think this is covered in the "-m state" module.

Am I wrong?  If I'm right, any ideas?

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /
Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk