[Gllug] Firewall distro

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Sat Feb 5 18:30:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, David Abbishaw wrote:

> You didn't mention what version of Windows you needed to run, however
> remember that 2003 (and XP SP2) both have reasonable built in firewalls.

Windows Server 2003 but there's no way I would trust it's firewall. Plus
the client will have full admin access so I need to compensate for any
config errors on their part :-)

> I would recommend Smoothwall if you don't mind using NAT, I run a bunch of
> windows machines /linux machines behind it and find it very useful and very
> quick and easy to configure.

NAT's not a viable option for these machines so Smoothwall and its ilk
aren't really what I'm after. My impression is that these are really aimed
at home/soho users which isn't really what we need.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk