[Gllug] SPAM - trying to block at SMTP level

Salim Virani me at salimvirani.com
Wed Feb 16 14:17:52 UTC 2005

I've seen retry delays that were longer than 24 hours.  If the
greylist purges entries older than 24 hours, the message is never
delivered and the bounce takes days.  But greylisting is very effective,
especially for users who would otherwise get 100+ spams a day. For them,
it's usually worth checking the greylist and asking for resends when
need be, rather than sifting through spam.

Whitelist maintenance doesn't have to be a chore.  You can grep
your mailboxes for From addresses to build a whitelist easily.  Plus,
you can hook into your outbound smtp, grepping out To, Cc and Bcc
addresses to maintain it.

For customer service mailboxes, I think the requirements are
significantly different. Anything that can generate false positives
would have to be ruled out Spamassassin would do a good job in that
case, once it's been trained.

Out of curiosity, why are 'holding areas' ruled out? Storage or hassle?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:54:21PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:46:32PM +0000, Rev wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >
> > > Not if you are an international company with many overseas contacts who
> > > are in intermittent contact.  Whitelist maintenance becomes a real
> > > chore.  It is also not an option if you want to provide responsive
> > > customer support, where possible.
> >
> > Three minutes extra is such a drag?
>
> What three minutes?  You can't specify the delay that somebody else's
> mta will back off for.  It will often be 30 or 60 minutes.
>

> --
> Bruce
>
> I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
> constructive purpose. -- Spock

> --

Salim Virani
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk