[Gllug] ADSL problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 09:29:06 UTC 2005

On Mon 28 Feb, t.clarke wrote:

> Re: the phone occasionally doing a sort of whimper as if its trying to ring.
>
> My phones also occasionally give a little ping occasionally (no more than once
> a day to my knowledger and generally in the evening).  I heard somewhere that BT
> have some kind of automated line-test routine that checks the line resistance/
> capacitance periodically, and I assumed that it is this that produces the
> odd pings on the phone (presumambly due to a very short transient pulse of some
> sort on the line?).   Of course, this could be complete nonsense !!

   It could be due to a barely acceptable filter, dodgy or damp cable, or
even splats on the AC mains. No BT test should produce that effect.

> Looking at the diagram of the phone set up with the microfilter, does the
> problem go away if the phone is connected directly to the socket rather than
> via the answerphone?

   The correct phone/answerphone connection should not be affected by any
inserted filters, the filter(s) should only affect the ADSL carriers, and
prevent them from reaching anything other than the ADSL modem. The standard
BT faceplate filter provides a clean separation at the master box, and the
best system for a marginal cable is an ADSL modem situated at the master
box, connected to the local network by ethernet.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk