[Gllug] Forcing CPU and Mem limits on a process

Jack Richards jack at gnu-solutions.com
Fri Feb 11 17:42:54 UTC 2005

overcommit mem is a great spead improver, however don't use it if you don't
have enough ram, otherwise the kernel OOM killer kicks in and you start
getting unexpected results

Quoting Tethys <tet at createservices.com>:

> Joel Bernstein writes:
>
> >If you call malloc() and there isn't enough available memory, malloc() will
>
> >return ENOMEM.
>
> Only if /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory contains the value 1. Otherwise,
> it may succeed, even when there isn't memory available. If that's the
> case, you'll get an error when you actually try and use the memory, not
> when it's allocated in the first place. I'm not sure how that would tie
> in with resource limits specified with ulimit...
>
> Tet
> --

Jack Richards

GNU Solutions Ltd
Atlantic House
Imperial Way
Reading
Berks.
RG2 0TD

web   : www.gnu-solutions.com
email : jack at gnu-solutions.com
Office: +44 (0)845 89 00 767
DDI   : +44 (0)845 89 00 767 ext 4001
Mobile: +44 (0)7788 437 904
Fax   : +44 (0)871  277 1937

*

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please accept our apology.
We should be obliged if you would email them by return.

Thank you.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk