[Gllug] pci ethernet ordering

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 11 20:55:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:37:28PM +0000, Ian wrote:

> Surely the ports of a dual port NIC will always get detected in the same
> order won't they? As opposed to multiple NICs of the same type.

I recently set up a machine with 1 dual port of one type of card, two
on-board nics of the same type and a quad port card of another type.
When the driver for the first type loaded, it found the first on-board
nic, then the first port on the dual-port card, then the second port on
the dual-port, then the second on-board nic.  So just adding an external
card changed the order that the on-board cards were found.

As for the quad-port, its ports were found in the order 1-4-2-3.

I would not bet that this eccentric order would survive a kernel upgrade
or a reboot.  I don't care to take the chance.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.