[Gllug] skype

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Feb 1 15:41:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:33:23AM +0000, Robert wrote:
> unenforcable verbage.  As for the p2p network, it will exist for as long as
> people use Skype.  Every user is a node in the p2p network and aids in the
> transmission of parts of conversations.

Given the completely closed and secretive nature of the protocol and
product, how can you be confident that the network will scale with
growth?  "Supernodes" are supposed to help it scale but a) how far up
does that design scale and b) how vulnerable is the system to DOS
attacks and other abuse?  How can you be confident about its security at
all, given that it combines a p2p mechanism with a centralised
authorisation/encryption system, neither of which are open to scrutiny?
There seems to be a lot of complacency around here.

I'm quite aware of the shortcomings of other VOIP standards but they are
open standards so I can judge them clearly and choose between multiple
implementations.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.