[Gllug] emacs

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon Feb 21 20:29:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:15:26PM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On Monday 21 Feb 2005 18:10, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 06:03:35PM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use 'planner-el' with emacs and totally without success.
> > > Can anyone give me some guidance please, or help with an url of a good
> > > tutorial please?
> >
> > Are you looking for a tutorial on Planner or on emacs?
> >
> Both!
>
> I can open the emacs gui, write into the scratch buffer, create a file and
> write in it and then save it, and then reopen it in another session, but
> thats it!

Emacs tutorials are easy to find online. If you don't already use Emacs,
though, is Planner the most appropriate tool for you to use for this
task? There are several GUI-based and several WWW-based tools for the
same job, which will be far easier to learn than learning emacs.

If you really want to learn emacs, then I suggest that you first read
some emacs tools, then read the PlannerModeQuickStart and
PlannerModeMethods nodes under:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode

If you have trouble finding a suitable Emacs primer, I suggest Jeremy
Zawodny's Emacs Beginner howto:

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/emacs/emacs.html

Last but not least, you'll find a far saner and more useful editor at:

http://www.vim.org/ ;-)

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk