[Gllug] Web Spider

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 14:59:38 UTC 2005

neil chambers wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Can anyone recommend some Web Spidering software (yeah yeah - Google is
> pretty cool ;-)) Basically I want to catalog all valid sites on a given
> subnet. I can't do zone transfers and don't want to put something
> together (nmap piped output looks like a strong option) if there is
> already a round peg for my round query.

If any of the hosts on the subnet are using HTTP 1.1 to serve up
different websites based on the hostname requested (virtual hosts) then
simply knowing that there is a webserver running on a given IP will not
help you much, there is no way of querying a webserver to find out what
virtual hosts there are.  You could potentially miss most of websites in
the subnet.

I don't think what you are after is possible.

If you know that all hostnames are assigned their own IP in a particular
subnet however, the nmap option would work.

> (a quick google turned up JSpider. Anyone used this?)

nope
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk