[Gllug] Kernel compile taking forever...!

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Wed Feb 2 12:22:22 UTC 2005

And verily, didst Tethys announce to the hordes:

> Andrew Halliwell writes:
>
> >Opteron's a different kettle of fish though.
> >Any penalty you get from increased load times should be more than negated by
> >the fact you've to a boatload of new registers, which of course, should
> >reduce memory requests and thus, increase speed.
>
> I don't know how much you know about the UltraSPARC, but shortage of
> registers is not one of its failings...

Maybe not, but if it's got the same number of registers in 32 and 64 bit
modes, there won't be much of a speed increase in changing from 32 to 64.

ia32 has ALWAYS been rather shit when it comes to the number of registers,
so when AMD64 introduced a lot more registers, it stands to reason that in
this case, there should be quite a performance boost.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk