[Gllug] Forking (Perl)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Feb 2 16:36:02 UTC 2005

Luke Hopkins (Broadbean) wrote:
> Is this a simple use of fork()?

You don't want to be spawning loads of other processes for this, I
think.  You might want to use threads, but on the whole threads are evil
and should be avoided.

I'd say this was what select() was made for, although it can make the
coding more difficult, since you need to make everything event-driven.

Joel Bernstein suggested POE elsewhere, and it might be exactly what you
need, since (if I understand it correctly) it's basically a framework
around a select() farm.

Cheers,

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk