Re [Gllug] rm -R not working on Fedora

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 20:34:59 UTC 2005

>> rm -R doesn't remove anything below the current directory on my Fedora Core
>> 3. Neither does -r or --recursive. There are no directory permission
>> problems, either. Anybody else come across this?

> seems to work properly here.
> Can you give  a specific example of what you are trying to do?
> Does this work with any directory?
> is this as root or a normal user?
>is it the same for every user?

> Stuart

For example, I enter a directory in which I own all the files and files are
0644. I issue the command:

rm -R *.php.bak

Example 1
All the '.php.bak' files within the current directory are removed but none
within the subdirectories, despite having the same file permissions.

Example 2
I enter my home diretory and issue these commands:

mkdir exdir
cd exdir
touch file1.txt
mkdir subdir
cd subdir
touch file2.txt
cd ..
rm -R *.txt

Result: file1.txt is removed but file2.txt remains

Garry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk